Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Hamburgers and Hotdogs

Lately I've been craving hotdogs from Five Guys once or twice a week. Even though hot dogs can be purchased for super cheap in packages at the grocery store, they hold no appeal compared to Five Guys hotdogs. Plus, I order my hot dog with pickles which are kind of like vegetables so these hotdogs have nutritional value. Every time we go to a burger place, everybody seems to go straight for the cheeseburgers and I'm always the one with the hotdog. Using my psychodynamic skills that I have as an almost psychology graduate, I've discovered why. I have a big family and at every barbeque growing up it was always the little kids who had to eat the hotdogs and the adults got to eat the hamburgers. I don't know what makes hotdogs little kid food. I guess they figured our taste buds weren't "developed" and so they wanted to feed us something cheap and less desireable. It wasn't until I was a senior in high school reaching for a hotdog at one of these gatherings that I realized I was no longer a little kid and was therefore entitled to a burger. I ate a burger that day. I guess it was a rite of passage. Today I still eat hotdogs at these gatherings and order hotdogs at burger joints. I guess it is my way of embracing my inner child!

3 comments:

  1. You are so funny! But I know exactly what you mean...we were always forced to eat the hot dogs :) i love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I'm not the only one going for the hot dogs at family BBQs with all of the little kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or for a lot of us, we just prefer hot dogs! I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels out of place at hamburger restaurants when I get a hot dog!

    ReplyDelete