Thursday, October 21, 2010

He's Here

This is William James Taylor. Born: October 12 Weight: 7lbs 13 oz
Here is our story. Thursday the seventh I had my 38 week appointment. I arranged for my doctor to strip my membranes hoping that it would put me into labor that weekend. OUCH. The doctor said there was a 70% chance I would have the baby within the next 48 hours and if I didn't, stripping my membranes hadn't worked. I came home from that appointment determined that I could make it work. I jogged around the house, went on a really long walk, did jumping jacks. Blaine was super entertained. I continued with this craziness all weekend to no avail. And when the 48 hours had passed without even one little contraction I cried. A lot. On Monday the eleventh I dragged Blaine and his parents to IKEA because I was tired of walking around the neighborhood and needed a more entertaining place to continue my walking spree. After our IKEA adventure and a detour to a furniture store we went to Wendy's for dinner. Just after I finished my cheeseburger and fries my water broke. Seriously? In Wendy's? We got out of there as quickly and inconspicuously as we could and headed home to call the doctor. He sent us to the hospital and I was hooked up to an IV and admitted to labor and delivery pretty quickly. They put me on pitocin and pretty soon I got my epidural and thought that the worst was pretty much over once my contractions went away. Nope. It turns out that the epidural stopped working halfway through the night. The nurse kept coming in and having me switch sides and turning up my dose. Finally they decided I needed a new epidural. OUCH again. Then relief. By the time I was dilated to a ten and it was time to push my epidural had stopped working again. I pushed for 38 minutes. Longest 38 minutes EVER! Finally William was here and he was perfect. Or so they told me. I was busy hemorrhaging. Then my body went into shock and I couldn't stop shaking. Then they gave me a percocet on an empty stomach and I spent the rest of the night throwing up. The end.

William and I have been home from the hospital for a week now. Blaine and I are so in love with our little guy! He is the happy ending to a long pregnancy and labor.

3 comments:

  1. oh my gosh that is even more birth control for me!! Kayla I am SO SO SORRY!!! I am so happy that you have a gorgeous little boy to come from that horrific experience. I will be home at thanksgiving and we are coming over for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As awful as that experience sounds, you did tell it in a pretty entertaining way. ;)

    William is so handsome! Congratulations, you two!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes!! I can't imagine what it would've been like if my epidural had stopped working. I hemorrhaged a lot after having Allisyn, too. Not fun.

    Congratulations!! William is adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete