Tuesday, March 16, 2010

World's Worst Pilot

Last Wednesday I flew to Arizona for my friend Nicole's wedding. My dad and I flew down together and the plane ride was uneventful. Not so much on the way back. I'm pretty sure it was the first time the pilot had ever flown. ever. I've always struggled with motion sickness especially in cars but I've been known to feel queasy after long plane rides. I always check to make sure I have one of those handy dandy barf bags in my seat back pocket but I never had to use it until Sunday. There was much turbulence for the last half of the flight and I'll give that one to the pilot...probably wasn't his fault. However, the descent was RIDICULOUS. We were up and down and all over the place and my nausea became more pronounced. Then, the landing. I think he forgot where the brake was and when he found it he was overly and enthusiastic and SLAMMED on the brake. While the flight attendant was going on and on about keeping your seat belt buckled and carry ons stowed until we came to a complete stop, I was fighting to keep from throwing up. I picked up my barf bag and opened it as inconspicously as I could just in case. Then, I threw up. a lot. I looked around and everyone was just minding their own business. They were probably embarassed for me and just pretended not to notice. I was pretty embarassed but I probably wouldn't have minded if the lady right next to me asked me if I was okay or SOMETHING. Since we had already landed and people started to "deplane" I tucked my full barf bag under my jacket, grabbed my carry on out of the overhead bin with my other hand, got off the plane, and casually tossed the bag when I found a trash can. When I finally saw Blaine I just started crying. It was pretty traumatic, afterall. I might have said something about never flying again too. THEN, yesterday I got in the car with Blaine and drove 5 minutes to go pick up a pizza. I ate half a piece in the car because I was starving and as soon as we got home, I threw up that half a piece of pizza. At least it was in the privacy of my own home and Blaine actually paid attention to me! So I am boycotting cars and planes for a while until this extreme motion sickness phase passes.

3 comments:

  1. I have LOTS of stories about family car trips and barfing. You are Tyler are notorious! :) I would cry too, I would be so embarrassed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how sensitive you are - but this time it might have had a lot to do with you expecting. Until you get passed your first trimester, plan on doing this alot and for no reason. Hope you're feeling better. We sure enjoyed having dinner with you Saturday and look forward to seeing you again next month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. KAYLA!!!
    & you came over and didn't say a thing! so sorry!!! i have always wondered what i would do if that happened to me...i think i'd cry too, however i would probably hand my barf bag to the flight attendant and tell her to tell the pilot, "thanks A LOT!". so sorry.
    hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete