Remember when we were little and the school districts still supported "take your child to work day?" What a great excuse to miss a day of school! Hannah and I usually ended up shut in a random room while my dad was in a meeting we couldn't go in. Yesterday, I decided that since it snowed and I'm allergic, I wouldn't be going to school. INSTEAD, I drove to Blaine's high school to meet him for lunch. His lunch break was short and I wasn't ready to come back home so I ended up staying for the rest of the day. I got shut in an office in the back of the classroom by myself for most of that time since I wasn't "allowed" in class. I actually got a lot of homework done and it was fun to peek through the little window and watch Blaine teach. Today is his very last day of student teaching. Teaching at an alternative school has definitely been a unique experience. These kids have no desire to learn and even worse won't even "play the game" for the grades. I had no desire to learn about biology so I sympathize with that but I wanted an A so I did whatever that teacher said! Blaine's students come in on days that they are scheduled to meet with the court to try and raise their grades from an F to passing. I guess that is a display of motivation? At the beginning of class, he has them answer 2 questions from the white board. Usually they are related to biology but yesterday one of the questions was, "What are you not going to do during spring break?" Most of the kids said drugs. Blaine told me that probably everyone who wrote that they aren't going to do drugs are the kids who will be doing drugs. Sad! I'm so proud of him for working so hard all semester! Happy last day of student teaching hun!
*Also, a side note about the lack of pictures on our blog. Yesterday I told Blaine that we need to take more pictures because we have hardly any and he said, "What should we take pictures of? Kayla laying in bed. Kayla sleeping." Even though I was slightly offended, I do spend much of my evenings in bed these days. I promise I work hard while he's at school though. He just doesn't see me!
No comments:
Post a Comment